Thursday, June 10, 2010

Venice and the sinking feeling.

The next day in Venice was quiet for me because I stayed on the apartment most of the day to get some work done. I was hard to stay in one place. At least the working conditions were good because our apartment was along a busy street and I opened the window to enjoy the bustle outside as I worked.

I went out later that night to some of the same bars and cafés that we saw the day before and added a few new ones to the list.

The next day I woke up early, dropped my bags with the hotel reception and set out to make a sweep of the whole city. Getting around in Venice is so different from anything I’ve experienced before. Water taxis seemed like a joke to me, and it did seem that the only people I saw on them were tourists. The water-borne equivalent to a bus was the real deal.

Sailing down the Grand Canal was great. I got to see a different side of the city. If you’re ever in Venice, and you don’t take a trip down this main thoroughfare, you’re missing half of the experience. The buildings are of course beautiful, but the fact that you can jump out of a window and land in a boat is really amazing.

After getting to the other end of the canal, we got out and started walking back to the hotel to get out bags and make it back to the mainland in time. I began to realize only then that Venice was really a town of tourists. The streets were choked with us. I guess out apartment was in a less travelled area because I didn’t expect it at all. But, I think that the number of visitors only attests to the powerful call of the city.

I got to see most of the main bridges and squares and churches within two hours, even though it was rushed. I was glad to experience it, despite the brevity.

I read that Venice is slowly sinking and the ocean is slowly rising. We are able to build cities on water and bore our way through mountains, so hopefully we will figure out a way to keep Venice around. Just in case, though, go see Venice soon. Its one of the most beautiful things you will ever see.  



I'm on a boat. (again)


Its not a flood scene. It's the skreet. 


No sleeping under the bridge. 


Gelato to see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment